Thursday, August 9, 2012

HOCKEYBIRD CENSORED !

I am extremely angry right now. 

I'll explain.

I took some time to calm down but instead of feeling calm, I am instead getting more heated. So I'm doing what I've always done, write on Hockeybird. Those of you who have been reading the site over the last 15 years know how serious I take the concept of censorship. I never allowed it to set it's ugly foot at this domain and that's not EVER going to happen here. Whether the writers of the past or myself, Hockeybird was a very proud supporter of freedom of speech and I can't even imagine that could change.

So, let me assure you that NONE of the posts here will be censored so I apologize if the headline mislead you. What's really happened is that a project, near and dear to my heart has a Facebook page. I linked the site on that page and it's now caused an issue. So, out of respect for the project I've decided that the removal of the Hockeybird link was the correct thing to do.

Yeah, you need more info here.

Many of you know that I am in fact DJ Bird of the world famous 92.7 WLIR. I am very proud of the small role I played in the story of that station. A very nice lady has contacted me and there will be an upcoming film, WLIR, The Movie.....a documentary about the station that dared to be different. This is an important story to be told and I FULLY support the writers and producers of the project. So I'd hope that no one gets the idea that I'm upset with them. (well, I do wish it was handled differently) 

To make a long story longer (that's a Malibu Sue line and I love her for it) I wrote an article back on January 9th, 2004 on the station. It was the day that 92.7 in NY had it's last broadcast. It was an emotional time for me. In fact, I have become more emotional in my old age....but that's a different story. I enjoyed spitting out the article and to my surprise it became the most visited page in our 15 year history, and I once stood behind each and every word. There is one who is upset with me and that person has now decided not to participate in the movie.....the reason given was the article here at Hockeybird and the post I made at the Facebook page linking back to this site. (funny, I didn't even link to the article in question. I had penned the prequel to the History of Hockeybird series and that's what I linked to)

Normally as you guys know me, I'd make a huge stink and stand on principle. But this time that wouldn't be the right thing to do. Those who are making this film do not need to be involved in this crap and I have way too much respect for the project and the history of WLIR to cause it any issues. So, this is not about right and wrong, it's about doing the right thing.

I'm even more upset now than I was when this first became an issue this morning. I thought that it would be cool if those who are excited about the upcoming film would visit here and take in a few Hockeybird  articles. Instead, the link has been removed (done without a discussion with me first) and I'm here pissing on this page.

Thanks for allowing me to get this out of my system. I  feel a little better now.

EDITORS NOTE: This article has been changed as some of the information was incorrect and I apologize for posting too quickly and while being upset. I'm happy to report that this issue will be resolved. 11:06am 8/10/2012

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Hockeybird.

----}- Bird

1 comment:

LordPerth said...

Keep up the great work bird!!
LP