Sunday, May 11, 2014

MARTY'S MOTHER'S DAY

20 Bent Lane in Levittown where Mom raised us
Hello NY and everywhere else, I'm Bird and it's Mother's Day 2014. By now you all know that Marty St. Louis lost his Mom a few days ago and that the NY Rangers rallied in Pittsburgh to force a game six which is tonight.

Those of you who have lost your Mom like I have understand what Marty is feeling. I don't have words to explain what it's like. What I can do is explain what my Mom meant to me.

Mom saw me win at lacrosse, football and wrestling while I was in high school. She listened to me on WLIR 92.7 in NY. She like your Moms was everything to a Levittown kid like myself. But in 1993 the cancer came back and took her from us. I was devastated. It's fair to say I didn't deal with it very well. It took a priest to sit me down and make me realize that I had 19 bonus years with her, something others didn't get. When I decided to return to the ice after the '94 Cup, I did so without Mom's presence. So I decided to include her in my pre-game ritual. I spoke to her on the way to the rink. Once dressed and through warm ups I'd again think of her. Then, just before puck drop I got on one knee in my crease and tapped the post with my glove. Then I'd tap my heart. "Just me and you Mom, just me and you". I said that each and every time I played including four championships.

I am sure Marty will be thinking of his Mom tonight as he takes the ice.

I'd like to think that the rest of the NY Rangers played for Marty and his Mom in Pittsburgh and I expect they will do the same tonight at the worlds most famous arena. The emotional trip Marty is on can be made just a little bit easier if the Rangers can force a game seven. I for one hope and pray that they do just that.

Win or lose I am proud of our Rangers for the game they played on Friday night. It would be fitting if on Mother's Day they could pull off one more win. Do it for Marty......do it for your own Moms. Do it for all Moms.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there and the rest of you, give your Mom a hug. You never know when you'll not be able to.

----}- Bird

No comments: