Wednesday, December 24, 2014

PIVOT POINT

Hello NY and everywhere else, I'm Bird and you are at Hockeybird once again.

As you can see, I'm no longer covering our beloved Blue Shirts on a daily or even weekly basis. To be honest, for the first time in as long as I can remember I'm not even watching all the games. There are things going on in my personal life that won't allow it. I'm not sure I've lost interest, but it's fair to say that I'm not as passionate about discussing hockey this year. I barely tweet these days.

Allow me to share some non hockey related stuff.

The WLIR movie, Dare To be Different is getting closer to being finished. I'm excited about this. It may mean a trip back to NY for a premier which would be outstanding. In addition, the station in Pittsburgh I worked at, WXXP is having another reunion. the last one in '05 was 20 years. This will be 30. Yes, I will once again take the stage and sing. I believe I will be doing a few U2 songs from the Joshua Tree which was released while WXXP was on the air. I'll not forget that morning. Phil on the morning show was able to debut some of the tracks and "Where the streets have no names" was the first. I know, With or without you was released as a single earlier but it was very cool to hear that song for the first time at 6:00am just seconds after we were allowed to play it.

Up to that point we enjoyed getting to hear (and play) U2 material well before anyone else. However, by this time everyone was on the U2 train and other stations complained to the label about our special access. I look forward to seeing all my Pittsburgh friends and co-workers!

Now, you are probably wondering what the heading means.

I'm still trying to figure it out myself. What I can say is that I am changing. I hope for the better but that's not for me to say. I see way too much hate in this world. Way too much yelling and name calling. Here in the U.S. it's politics and I'm sick of it. We as human beings need to find a way to stop with all the politics, stop with all the BS. So I'm trying to become a better person and help people.

The bottom line is I had a life changing event that was unpleasant to say the least. My reaction was not good. Over time I was becoming more and more miserable. It was pointed to out to me that the problems one faces do not define you. How you react to those issues does. So, I'm changing.

Less confrontational language, more constructive words. That's what I hope to achieve.

On a completely different note, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts are now 2015 Rock & Roll hall of fame inductees. I was a fan well before I was hired at WLIR and to not just meet but become friends with Joan and the Blackheart family is a dream come true. I was lucky enough to intro the band on many occasions and have continued to stay in touch even after I left the scene. Her entry has made me very proud and very happy. The band will be the opening act for the upcoming 50 year reunion tour of the legendary Who. I will try and attend at least one of the many stops on this tour.

The Rangers?

I must admit......I don't know how things are going with the team. for the first time in as long as I can remember, I am not watching games. Priories have changed I guess and while I expect to follow at some point I haven't had the urge to watch. I won't buy Center Ice, still upset by the lockout. Still haven't been to a live game although we may attend the NYE game here in Florida.

To all of you, Happy Holidays.....and Merry Christmas. I hope you had a great 2014 and an even better 2015.

----}- Bird


No comments: