Monday, December 26, 2016

JAGR TOPS MOOSE IN NHL POINTS

We joked that Jagr had his NY apt cleaned by Petr Prucha....



So it went in off his ass.

I have pretty good memories of seeing this big kid play as a rookie. I had been living in Pittsburgh between '85 & '87 and saw a young Mario, but that was when the Pens weren't any good. By the time I went to Nassau to see the Isles play the Pens they were getting much better. Jags would coast through two periods and then score twice and assist on one or two to give the Pens a win. I think I saw him do this several times.

It was his stop in Washington that had many worried that Jags had a bad attitude. I'm still unclear why that didn't work out as his stint with the Rangers helped bring the team back to respectability. Not only did the Rangers return to the playoffs, he set the single season goalscoring record, eclipsing Adam Graves 51 goals in 1994.

He had stops in NJ, Philly, Boston and of course, here in Florida. JJ still has size and with that an ability to control the puck better than most. His shot is still one that beats keepers. Face it, most his age can't play at the level he plays......and it looks like he could continue next season if he wants. Personally, I want to see him play one more year. The last 25 plus years have been quite a treat watching him win in the NHL and the Olympics.

I've always been a big Mark Messier fan and I'd bet even "Moose" Messier was happy for JJ when he passed 1887 points. What an awesome career.

----}- Bird

No comments: