Sunday, July 21, 2019

YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO HOME, BUT YA CAN'T STAY HERE

Episode Twenty Four concludes this years collection of the Birdcage 2019. If I have to go out.....it only makes sense to do so the way we got started. So it's mostly new music featured in the final entry.



We get started off with two songs from the new Stray Cats LP, "40". I remember seeing Brian Setzer at Heckle & Jeckles in Massapequa doing an Eddy Cochran show. The Cats had to move to England to find an audience for the Rockabilly they did only to come back to the states a hit.We played 'em in the clubs and on WLIR but MTV made them main stream. Brian and I bumped into each other many times and while he and I didn't hit it off, I have only respect for him and the Cats.





You will hear two songs from Howard Jones' new record which reminds me of a time Howard visited the studio at WLIR in Beautiful downtown Hempstead NY. It may have been his first time there....Barry Ravioli asked Howard who played bass on the album. The look on Howard's face was priceless.

Over the years, Mike Peters & the Alarm received huge support in the NY area from us. I think the show at Pier 84 with U2 established a connection that continues today. You will hear a new song that features Billy Duffy from the Cult on guitar. I'm still a big fan so it was a real treat to have the Alarm play at the Dare To Be Different premier in Tribeca.

40 years ago I began to champion a band from Dublin, Ireland. Bono's son Eli fronts a band called Inhaler. Yes, he sounds like his dad. You will hear two songs from them. I'm tickled to play these guys 40 years after pounding U2 sets in every club and almost every radio show. There's just something that feels right about it.

Special thanks to Iain Slater of APB for his special contribution to the show.

The show ends with a song that I adopted as sort of a personal anthem. Like a lot of you, I lived the "Dare To Be Different" lifestyle. I didn't really care about my bad reputation back then. It's different now.....I now really appreciate the once in a lifetime opportunities I was given. Looking back I do wish I treated people nicer. My apologies for being a jerk.

I'll be off the grid for a while. This dumb kid from Levittown, Long Island needs to regroup and regain my health. It's fair to say that I have been incredibly blessed, lucky beyond imagination so anything good from here on in is just icing on the cake. Thank you for letting me take this fantastic journey........I had a blast! I may be going through some tough times now but when this all comes to an end, no one can say we didn't DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!

May I just add that family is the most important thing we have. Having lived such a public life it does feel like you are part of my family. If you get the chance, please look out for my two beautiful daughters, Alexandria and Juliana. I expect them to make a positive impact on the world. I hope I was a positive influence on them.........they both have made me very proud.The only thing bigger than my love for you is my love for them

----}- Bird

No comments: