Monday, November 28, 2016

YOU'RE FIRED !

I could list a bunch of reasons but I have to admit, I didn't see this coming.......


I'd rather be talking about last year's show at Stage AE in Pittsburgh where we celebrated  years of WXXP. Instead I now have to figure out what the heck happened and why. The Panthers have fired head coach Gerard Gallant and did so after last night's loss in Carolina.

To me it's clear this team is missing something. They are not intimidating and they lack that killer instinct needed in the NHL to win games. My guess is that management decided to address the issue of a crappy record now instead of later when it could be too late. I'm not sure I can point out exactly where the coach made mistakes......it's something off ice in my mind.

One thing is clear. The return to the playoffs last season was supposed to be followed by a deeper run, not a struggle just to get in and ownership has been quite vocal about their commitment to getting this team to a level where it can compete for a Cup. You are what your record says you are.....and last place speaks for itself.

Honestly, I'm not big on the GM also coaching. The interim coach isn't great either so I do expect a little time to pass before a new head coach is selected.

Strange days indeed.

----}- Bird

No comments: