Monday, November 7, 2016

MUST BE AN ELECTION OR SOMETHING

The news keeps talking about some sort of election......


I bet most of you are happy this election is almost over. I know, it's the future of our country and as usual, the most important election of our lifetimes. I'm as sick of it as you are. No, I'm not going to tell you how to vote and while I hope you vote I'm not going to tell you that you must. Frankly, it will have no bearing on the NHL and who wins the Stanley Cup.

I tuned in on Saturday to watch the Panthers lose to the Caps. T.J. Oshie scored twice as the Cats had no answer for his size and puck control. The slump I declared has gone on too long and must be stopped. If the Panthers can't beat upper echelon teams then the progress made last season is for naught.

Look, this team won the Atlantic division last year and but for a few puck bounces could have beaten the Islanders. But is this last years team? No......no it's not. Ten new players were supposed to build on last year. I see the improvements on paper but if you look at the record it's fair to say we are not seeing it on the ice.

All this can change on a dime. Tonight the Cats play their cross state rivals, the Tampa Bay Lightning. A win helps right the ship. A loss........well, you know.

Yes, it's early in the season and no team has ever won a Cup in early November. However, many teams have lost a Cup this early. Sparse attendance at the BB&T coupled with a lousy record spells a long frikkin season......one I wasn't prepared for. The next few days will be all election all the time but at some point we will get back to normal life. When the smoke clears will we see a chance for the Cats or will they have already buried themselves? Meanwhile the NY Rangers keep winning.

Tonight's game goes a long way in answering that question. If I was in that locker room you can bet that the team would play with a sense of urgency. No links today. I'm not in a great mood, find 'em yourselves!

----}- Bird

No comments: